Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I was planning to race at Minneapolis Raceway in the upcoming 2009 season in the IMCA Sport Compact/Mosquito class.

The car is a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am. I bought it from Montee Benien, who also races at Minneapolis Raceway. I bought it with the seat and belts for $600. The reason it was so cheap was the engine had a blown head gasket. Since then, I have rebuild the engine with a few hundred dollars.

About the middle of February, my dad and I got it put all the way back together, and started it, but there was a very loud knocking sound at about 3000 rpm. We think it is a sticking valve.

We are currently in the diagnosis stage, and the suspect right now is the oil pump. When a head gasket blows, the oil and coolant mix. Most racers run straight water in the cars, so I had watery oil setting in my pump for a few months. It probably will just need to be cleaned out, but you never know if that will solve all of the problems.

I am looking for sponsors and am always open to donations.

2009 schedule and other links are at the bottom of the page.
Check back regularly for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment